Google Search

Custom Search

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Dinner at the cheese den

A little slower today. Maintenance got all the work done in the apartment and now all the faucets work without spraying us with water! Its peculiar. I've had to change every lightbulb in the apartment because they're the incandescent energy sappers, but all the water flow has been set up for ULTRA low flow. I couldn't even rinse the sink out this morning after shaving. I'd say I'm pretty green, but I don't quite buy the water famine talk, yet, outside of the the desert regions like Hell-A and Arizona/New Mexico. Desalination becomes an energy game. It is very energy intensive, but if you have clean energy, whats the problem? I'm more worried about water quality than water scarcity. All the runoff and overuse of pesticides and fertilizers have made our water supplies tainted. Similarly, why do i need drinking water to flush the toilet or water the plants?

I ate lunch alone at a McMenamins brewpub. They are a local chain of brewpubs known for taking interesting spaces and making cool pubs. They have two I'm really excited to go to, the Kennedy School, where they took an old school and converted it and the Baghdad, a movietheater you can drink at. Unfortunately, the one near my house is rather plain and sedate. The beer was good and the fish and chips tasty.

Dinner was at the cheese den, but they call it Pastini. Its near the house and we had a coupon from the Chinook Book to try. I assume one of the chefs is from wisconsin because everything had 2 scoops of cheese on it. The Caesar salad? 2 (ice cream) scoops of cheese. The chicken marsala that didnt taste or look anything like chicken marsala? 1.5 scoops of cheese. The food was NOT good here. I don't have anything positive to say about the place other than the servers were nice.

Encouraging news on the job front. I made it to the "equally ranked eligible list" for one of the city jobs i submitted for before our move. Here's to hoping an interview is close behind

0 comments: