Google Search

Custom Search

Thursday, September 11, 2008

In days 2 and 3. The original estimate from the truck driver was that he would arrive on tuesday to deliver the rest of our furniture and belongings. It got pushed back till wednesday, so Olivia and I used the day to get some errands done, but also relax a little bit.

We went to breakfast at Francis Restaurant. Again, Olivia enjoyed it much more than I. She had an omelette that looked pretty good, I had the special: cornmeal pancakes with lemon. I also ordered an italian ice that came in the hugest mason jar I've ever seen. 32 ounces, at least. Big props to the restaurant for doing their part to be sustainable. Plenty of vegan and vegetarian options, take home boxes made for composting, responsible sourcing of their ingredients. Overall, willing to give this place another go.

After breakfast was a trip to get groceries at New Seasons. We had to go because when we were looking for places to live, almost EVERY listing included the distance to New Seasons. I guess I would describe it as if Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and a Co-Op decided to mate and produce offspring. It has a great selection of every item. Has your more hard to find foods but also has a good deal of the national brands too. They make their own sausages and breads and everyone was super friendly. I can't imagine this not becoming our normal grocery store, especially since the prices seemed normal for everything (if not cheaper than what we are used to in Hell-A).

A little later we made a practice trip for Olivia's new job at Comcast. Turns out its a pretty easy commute, around 15-20 mins. I'm glad she won't have to travel too far.

For Dinner, we went to the best pizza place (if you exclude my childhood favorite) I've ever been to. Apizza Scholls. We tried this on one of our visits to Portland, it had been featured on Anthony Bourdains travel channel show "No Reservations". It is better than can be accurately described. They are open Tues-Sat, 5-9pm or until the dough runs out. They make all the dough themselves, and it takes 24 hours for it to set. Therefore, on busy nights, which seems like 100% of the time, its more likely they run out of dough than make it to the end of the night. Its a really unique place. They all take the same vacations, everyone works every day. They can be "Pizza Nazis", only 3 toppings per pizza and some other rules, but it all makes sense in the end. Even being lactose intolerant, I can eat as much of this pizza as I want. (Quality hard cheese = no problems.)

While there we learned that they are having a special Sunday meal for one of their servers that has been ill. They are not usually open on Sundays but they are having special pizza's and all the proceeds go to medical bills and expenses. If you are in PDX, I'd make a trip.

On wednesday Olivia had to go to go to work. I had to manage the movers. Immediately, I get a phone call telling me they can't get the truck to my street and they'll have to use a shuttle. You know, the shuttle the moving company told me about 4 business days before the move and had me sign a form for extra charges, if needed, but they were 99% certain wouldn't be needed. I don't know if all moving companies are like this, but to recap, every day that they did something they attempted to extort more money from me. I fought this one too and gave the driver plenty of options for getting to my street or an adjacent street. After a while, *magically* he was able to park on the street. All I can say is that you have to stand up for yourself in these situations. They're looking for the pushovers that will just pay whatever to get their stuff. Remember: you have legal options if they try to "hold you up". The movers themselves were actually friendly and did a good job. City of Portland gave them a ticket for double parking because I was unable to secure a permit from the city. How does the city expect you to have multiple days notice when the moving companies themselves don't know when they're going to drop off your stuff? And then, to give tickets for this is crazy. My first WTF portland experience.

The rest of my day was spent getting the bed put together, getting the maintenance crew to finish some unfinished problems with the new apartment, getting the cable installed and ready to watch and generally moving boxes from place to place.

We went to dinner really close by at Koji Osakaya Japanese Restaurant for some sushi. I really hope this wasn't indicative of the sushi I can expect in Portland or that I've been spoiled by easy to come by good sushi in LA. The sushi here is really underwhelming and nothing of note.

Now its late morning on the 4th day. I spent time getting the Tivo converted for the new cable set-up and the never ending task of updating all my accounts and shipments to the new place.

Environment link of the day: Saw this article about the new Chevy Volt. I was real excited about it when it was first announced but now I'm of the opinion that GM/Chevy will find new ways to fuck it up. Here is to hoping I'm wrong and an American car company can do something useful again.

0 comments: