Google Search

Custom Search

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A wee bit of Fish and Chips

It was beautiful yesterday. A little warm during the day but absolutely perfect in the evening. We decided to walk a little farther for dinner and noticed we each had some plaid on, off to the local scottish restaurant/pub Rose and Thistle!

I'm really digging how fish and chips is a mainstay of Portland's food choices. Of course, each restaurant claims the best in town. Here, they were pretty good. I made my own sampler and got a piece of the cod, the halibut and some shrimp thrown in for good measure. Every thing was fried really nicely and it had a good batter. No complaints, solid meal. The fries weren't my style, but they weren't bad either.





I had coached Olivia up for trying some haggis, I had it while in Scotland a few years back, but they were out. She got the spinach and artichoke dip (fresh from the microwave. I gave it a "not worth getting sick over." Olivia said it wasn't bad). She also had a large apple salad that looked good and must have been good because she finished it all.

The server was nice, as most of these Portlanders are. I think I might have to start only mentioning service if its an A+ or anything below a B-. Its all pretty solid out here.

The biggest downer was this was a small little place and it was smoker friendly. Translation: Smoke Den. Its hard to eat when you're bathing in smoke, especially after two terms in a place where thats just not allowed, at all. It got us thinking about the apparently dichotemy between the uber-healthy portland lifestyle and the prevalence of smoking up here. I can't really answer the riddle except to speculate it probably has to do with the common theory that you have to have one vice in life. I think we will probably have to stick with more family friendly establishments (code word: no smoking), or at least places that are big enough to have more air circulation.

At least the Scottish Ale was good.... =)


PS: GM unveiled the Chevy Volt today. Looks like they're aiming for LATE 2010 with a price tag of 30-40k. They are also whining about Government loans, I guess profit isn't a big enough incentive for them. We are watching the death spiral of GM here, folks. I was enamored of the Volt when it was first announced, but I have no confidence that GM will be able to produce this car a) on time b) successfully c) affordably or d) much before a car company that knows what they are doing produces a similar concept. Get the guys from "Who killed the Electric Car?" on the phone, they're writing a sequel over in Detroit.

0 comments: