Google Search

Custom Search

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Short day at the DMV

Here in Portland, the DMV is fun. I had to get my car registered here in Oregon (my California plates expired in August) and get a brand new Driver's License. First step was to get the car checked for Smog. You can actually watch a webcam through the state's website to see how bad the line is and plan your trip accordingly! Second step, go to the DMV. Nice big parking lot, 7-8 windows of workers. About 5 people needing help. They have a "pick a number" system. More of a formality. Got my plates and a sticker good for 2 years. The nice DMV girl asked me if I had studied for the written knowledge test for my license, of course not. Took the vision test, I swear those things aren't calibrated right. the lines are easy enough to read where the light is shining correctly or the lens isn't bent. I dont get it. center of line: clear as day.. left of line unreadable except if you look at some crazy angle.. right of line almost gibberish until you again press your head _just_ right into the machine and suddenly its clear as day again. give me a poster and a taped line on the ground. this is just stupid. the written knowledge test is actually a computer touch screen test. kinda like a videogame! it tells you if you selected right or wrong. Passed no problem and now I got my temporary Driver's License. The DMV girl did admonish me for not shaving for the picture though....

Olivia wanted to celebrate me being alot more of an Oregonian than her. (I have a DL and a registered car. She's still California Dreamin'...) We picked a Southern style place near by called the Screen Door. Not bad. The appetizers were awesome. The portions were HUGE. I had some fried Okra, Olivia had heirloom tomatoes. Dinner was more pedestrian. Fried Chicken.. but no drumsticks.. that really kills my chicken buzz. Sweet tea, not very sweet. Quickly ordered a beer. Collard greens, spicy. Sweet potato fries, pretty good. Olivia had some banana pie desert. It must have been pretty good, it was huge and it was all gone by the time we left.

I feel like a snake shedding off my Hell-A skin

1 comments:

Bee said...

Tape a poster to the floor is priceless! I didn't realize you'd have to take a new test for your license change. Aren't all driving laws basically the same? Obey the signs, don't hit/maim the pedestrians, and no DUI stuff, right?

DMV out here in the cornfields is pretty nice too. 15 minutes to get my license changed and 15 seconds for each car to re-register at the check in desk I stopped at before the line for license change. Sweet.

However having corn fields 1/4 mile from your house, not so cool.